@needaproperty Thanks for the great tweet and so sorry i missed it before. Been away from twitter for a couple of weeks – my bad.
Gordon & Rumsby Estate Agents: Getting ready to sell your home.
Selling your home can be stressful, but there are things you can do to minimize this.
First of all, ask yourself if you really want or need to move?
We often hear from would be vendors, who say they might try the market at a high price that they are hoping to achieve. This can lead to marketing an overpriced property that languishes on the market for months or more. Buyers get to know the property and assume it is overpriced or perceive there must be something wrong with the house because it is still on the market week after week. Buyers don’t look for the most expensive house! They look to get the best value for their money.
If you are sure you want to move, then the best thing you can do is to get a valuation from a professional estate agent who will make a comparative analysis of similar properties in your area to establish a fair market value.
Evaluating a home is not an exact science as homes and locations differ so much, so be sure to ask an agent with plenty of experience in your area.
Then take their advice about the selling price.
At this point, do your sums and make sure that the proceeds of the sale will be enough to allow you fulfill your future plans. If it’s not looking good, you may need to rethink the whole project. There’s no point in putting the property on the market at an inflated price. It frustrates the vendor when there are no viewings, gives the vendor false hope for their future plans, annoys buyers and generally wastes time for all involved.
At Gordon & Rumsby, we are as careful as possible to give you an accurate valuation of your home. We love getting referrals and recommendations from satisfied clients.
If you are considering a move and would like to have a no-obligation valuation/appraisal of your home in East Devon or West Dorset please contact us through our Free Valuation Page, or call us on 01297 553768. We shall be happy to chat, advise you and help you accomplish your goal.
Gordon & Rumsby: Estate Agents In Devon & Dorset.
Tips For Staging Your Home:
With spring well on the way, it’s a good time to take stock of your home, especially if it has been on the market over the winter and it has not sold. At Gordon & Rumsby we see homes in a variety of different conditions, and although it’s not the first time we have offered these tips, we feel it is good customer service to offer helpful pointers to increase your chances of selling.
Tips For Staging Your Home:
- Clean and tidy: An obvious statement, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t. An untidy or dirty home can put a buyer off as soon as they enter the property. It could be visual or it could be smell.
- Get rid of the clutter: A prospective buyer finds it much easier to imagine themselves living in your home if they are able to visualise their own furniture in the rooms. It is hard to do this if the room is bursting at the seams with family photos, knickknacks, trophies and piles of Sunday newspapers.
- Create Space: If you have some oversized pieces of furniture or a lot of chairs in the living room, it may benefit you to store some pieces away to give your home a more spacious feel, and a better ‘flow’.
- Function: Make sure the rooms look like what they’re intended for. For example, the dining room is a place to eat and entertain, not the place for your exercise bike; the patio is a place to relax not a place to store the children’s toys.
- Atmosphere: Put out the rubbish; open the window; use an air freshener if necessary; smokers and pet owners will have to work harder at this. Pull the curtains back to let in as much natural light as possible. If the room is still dark put a light on when a viewing is scheduled. You could set the dining table as for a meal or place fresh flowers. Make the beds and scatter a few cushions. Even if you have an old bathroom, you can make it more appealing by buying new colourful matching towels and bath mats.
- Landscape: Mow the lawn, do some weeding, clip the hedges and put some colourful flowers by the front door. Landscaping can be an inexpensive way attract buyers through the door.
Getting rid of the clutter is one of the hardest tasks to accomplish, especially if your house is small. Since you intend to move in a few months, get some cardboard boxes and start packing away some of those knickknacks on the mantlepiece; recycle the old newspapers; put the packed boxes wherever you can in the garage, the loft, the wardrobe or under the bed.
For a valuation and some advice you can contact Gordon & Rumsby on 01297 553768 or through the Gordon & Rumsby Contact Page of the website. We will give you our straight forward opinion (in the nicest possible way) on how to stage your property to sell.